Pages

25 April 2011

Loving Japan

Hi everyone,
Sorry it's been a bit. We've been needing a vacation in the worst way, and I finally found time to write from our get-away spot: Toyama, Japan!

We came here to visit our friends Sean and Ayumi, who are here for about four years while Sean teaches at a glass blowing school here. They live in a farming area near Toyama, and it's just turning spring, so people are planting and things are a bloomin' (like these cherry blossoms). It is still quite cold here, so I'm very, very bundled at the moment (snow hat, scarf, sweatshirt, long sleeved t-shirt, pajama bottoms, and three pairs of socks!).


Japan is an amazing country, and we're excited to learn more about it while we're here, but a few things we can tell you so far:
1) They have exciting vending machines with hot and cold drinks inside including hot pancakes in a can!

2) They have fancy toilets that require directions to use!

3) Garbage disposable is very complicated here!


4) There are serious mountains and therefore, many tunnels! We went to the city of Nagoya today, and there were no less than 56 tunnels!! Oh yeah, and one of them was 11 KM long (about 7.2 miles!).

5) The people are extremely helpful! Especially the amazing individuals at the Mac Store in Nagoya who graciously fixed my computer by replacing the logic board. I am ever so grateful, and I'm loving Japan even more now that it has given me back my Mac!


Will write more tomorrow. Mostly I wanted to let you know about the computer and our first experiences in Japan. Hope you all are well!

Sarah